The treatment and management of periodontal disease involves regular dental care, lifestyle changes, medications, deep cleaning, and possibly surgery.
The goals of treatment of periodontal disease include:
- Controlling the underlying infection
- Halting destruction of the gums, tissues, and bones that support your teeth
- Avoiding potential tooth loss
Your dentist may need to refer you to a specialist in the treatment of gum disease, called a periodontist.
Treatment involves the following:Lifestyle changesMedicationsSurgeryOther treatments
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 08/2016 -
- Update Date: 09/17/2014 -