Ingredients and Preparation
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Place carrots, potatoes, and onions in an oven-safe baking dish or roasting pan. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and season with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Spread vegetables to the edges of the baking dish, making room for chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/8 teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon salt, and garlic. Add the parsley and thyme and combine into a paste. Mix in the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Remove and discard the giblets from the cavity of the chicken, rinse the chicken under cold running water, and pat dry. Place the chicken, breast-side up, in the center of the baking dish. Beginning at the neck, carefully slide your hand under the skin, making space between the skin and meat. Rub the herb paste between the skin and meat.
- Season the cavity and skin with the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt. Put the lemon quarters and rosemary sprigs inside the cavity.
- Roast the chicken and vegetables for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the thigh joint, away from the bone, registers 170˚F-175˚F. If the bird is browning too quickly, cover with aluminum foil.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and let stand for 10-15 minutes. Carve the chicken and serve the vegetables alongside. Drizzle with any remaining juices.