da Vinci® Hernia Surgery – A Minimally Invasive Surgical Option
The da Vinci Surgical System provides surgeons with a 3D HD view inside your body. da Vinci has special wristed instruments that bend and rotate far greater than the human wrist. Your doctor controls the da Vinci System, which translates his or her hand movements into smaller, more precise movements of tiny instruments inside your body.
As a result of da Vinci technology, da Vinci ventral hernia surgery offers the following potential benefits:
- Low rate of recurrence 1
- Low rate of pain 1
- Low conversion rate to open surgery 1,2
- Short hospital stay 2,3
Potential Risks & Considerations Related to any abdominal hernia surgery, including da Vinci Surgery:
- Bowel obstruction 1
- Hernia 1,2
- Urinary retention 2
- Recurrence of incisional hernias are more likely 4
PN 1008323 Rev A 04/2014
- Tayar C, Karoui M, Cherqui D, Fagniez PL. Robot-assisted laparoscopic mesh repair of incisional hernias with exclusive intracorporeal suturing: a pilot study. Surg Endosc. 2007 Oct;21(10):1786-9. Epub 2007 Mar 13.
- Allison N, Tieu K, Snyder B, Pigazzi A, Wilson E. Technical feasibility of robot-assisted ventral hernia repair. World J Surg. 2012 Feb;36(2):447-52. doi: 10.1007/s00268-011-1389-8.
- Gonzalez A, Rabaza J, Seetharamaiah R, Donkor C, Romero R, Kosanovic R, Perez-Loreto F, Arad J. Laparoscopic vs Robotic Ventral Hernia Repair: A Single Group Experience.Department of Surgery, Baptist Health South Florida, Miami FL.
- National Institutes of Health. Hernia. December 2013. 4. 1. National Institutes of Health. Hernia. December 2013. http://www.intuitivesurgical.com/safety
Important Safety Information
Serious complications may occur in any surgery, including da Vinci® Surgery, up to and including death. Individual surgical results may vary. Patients should talk to their doctor to decide if da Vinci Surgery is right for them. Patients and doctors should review all available information on non-surgical and surgical options in order to make an informed decision. Please also refer to http://www.davincisurgery.com/safety/ for Important Safety Information.
© 2015 Intuitive Surgical, Inc. All rights reserved. Product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders. The information on this website is intended for a United States audience only.