You have a unique medical history. Therefore, it is essential to talk with your doctor or healthcare provider about your personal risk factors and/or experience with endometriosis. By talking openly and regularly with your healthcare provider, you can take an active role in your care.
Here are some tips that will make it easier for you to talk to your healthcare provider:
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask.
- Write out your questions ahead of time, so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you get, and make sure you understand what you are hearing. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don't be afraid to ask your questions or ask where you can find more information about what you are discussing. You have a right to know.
- What causes endometriosis?
- Based on my medical history, lifestyle, and family background, am I at risk for endometriosis?
- How do I know if someone in my family had or has endometriosis? (What symptoms should I ask about?)
- Am I currently taking any medication that puts me at higher risk for developing endometriosis?
- Do I currently have any habits that may cause endometriosis?
- How do I best prevent endometriosis?
- Is there a cure for endometriosis?
- How do I best treat endometriosis?
What medications are available to help me?
- What are the benefits/side effects of these medications?
- Will these medications interact with other medications, over-the-counter products, or dietary or herbal supplements I am already taking for other conditions?
- Is there any surgery that will help endometriosis? How do I know if one is right for me?
- Are there any alternative or complementary therapies that will help me?
Are there other dietary changes I should make? How do I go about it?
- Can you refer me to a registered dietitian who can help me with my diet?
Should I engage in exercise?
- What kind of exercise is best?
- How often should I exercise?
- How do I get started with an exercise program?
- Should I stop drinking alcohol?
- Should I stop drinking beverages with caffeine?
- How do I know that my prevention or treatment program is effective?
- Are there any tests I can have to find out if I have endometriosis?
- Will I be able to have children if I have endometriosis?
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm, MD
- Review Date: 09/2014 -
- Update Date: 09/17/2014 -