(Computed Tomography Colonography; Virtual Colonoscopy)
Reasons for Test
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
What to Expect
Prior to Test
- Do not eat for 8-12 hours prior to the test.
- A bowel cleansing will be done with a laxative. The goal of the cleansing is to rid your colon of all stool. The laxative will cause you to have many bowel movements over several hours.
- If you have diabetes, talk to your doctor about adjusting your medications.
Description of the Test
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Call Your Doctor
- Difficulty breathing
American College of Gastroenterology http://gi.org
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases http://www.niddk.nih.gov
Canadian Association of Gastroenterology http://www.cag-acg.org
Canadian Cancer Society http://www.cancer.ca
CT colonography. American College of Radiology Radiology Info website. Available at: http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=ct%5Fcolo. Updated May 16, 2014. Accessed September 17, 2014.
Fletcher RH. Colorectal cancer screening on stronger footing. NEJM. 2008(12);359:1285-1287.
Johnson CD, Chen MH, Toledano AY, et al. Accuracy of CT colonography for detection of large adenomas and cancers. NEJM. 2008;359(12): 1207-1217.
Mulhall P, Veerappan GR, Jackson JL, et al. Meta-analysis: computed tomographic colonography. Ann Intern Med. 2005;142(8):635-650.
Yee J. Screening CT colonography. Radiol Clin North Am. 2004;42(4):757-766.
- Reviewer: Daus Mahnke, MD
- Review Date: 08/2015 -
- Update Date: 09/17/2014 -