Why Grains Are Good
How to Get Your Grains
- 1 cup flaked cereal
- ½ cup of cooked oatmeal, grits, or cream-of-wheat cereal
- ¼ cup nugget or bud-type cereal
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1 pancake or waffle, 4 inch diameter
- ½ English muffin, hamburger roll, pita, or bagel (frozen kind; those from bagel shops can be up to 4 servings)
- 1 slice of bread or dinner roll
- 1 tortilla, 6 inch diameter
- ½ cup cooked rice, pasta, or barley
- ½ cup quinoa, bulgur, millet, or other whole grain
- ½ cup pretzels
- 3-4 small crackers
Finding the Whole Grain
- Whole wheat
- Brown rice
- Some cold breakfast cereals, such as Cheerios, Granola or muesli, Grape-Nuts, Raisin Bran, Shredded Wheat, Total, Wheat germ, or Wheaties
- Some hot breakfast cereals, such as Oat Bran, oatmeal, Roman Meal, or Wheatena
- Some crackers, such as Triscuits or Ak-Mak
Eat Right.org—Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics http://www.eatright.org
MyPlate.gov—US Department of Agriculture http://myplate.gov
Dietitians of Canada http://www.dietitians.ca
Health Canada Food and Nutrition http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
DASH diet. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated March 3, 2013. Accessed March 25, 2014.
Food groups: How many grain foods are needed daily? USDA's MyPlate.gov website. Available at: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/grains%5Famount%5Ftable.html. Accessed Updated June 4, 2011. Accessed March 25, 2014.
Food groups: What counts as an ounce equivalent of grains? USDA's MyPlate.gov website. Available at: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/grains%5Fcounts%5Ftable.html. Accessed Updated June 4, 2011. Accessed March 25, 2014.
Whole grains. United States Department of Agriculture website. Available at: http://healthymeals.nal.usda.gov/resource-library/whole-grains. Accessed June 2, 2012.
Whole grains and fiber. American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Whole-Grains-and-Fiber%5FUCM%5F303249%5FArticle.jsp. Updated February 19, 2014. Accessed March 25, 2014.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 04/2014 -
- Update Date: 03/25/2014 -