|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Being born with a narrow spinal canal
- Previous injury or surgery of the spine
- Numbness, weakness, cramping, or pain in the legs and thighs
- Radiating pain down the leg
- Abnormal bowel and/or bladder function
- Decreased sensation in the feet causing difficulty placing the feet when walking
- Loss of sexual function
- Partial or complete paralysis of legs
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Corticosteroid injections
- Decompression laminectomy—This is the removal of bony spurs or increased bone mass in the spinal canal. This can free up space for the nerves and the spinal cord.
- Spinal fusion—This is when 2 vertebrae (back bones) are fused together. This will provide stronger support for the spine. This is almost always done after decompression laminectomy.
Ortho Info—American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://www.orthoinfo.org
Arthritis Foundation http://www.arthritis.org
The Arthritis Society http://www.arthritis.ca
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org
Delitto A, Piva SR, Moore CG, et al. Surgery versus nonsurgical treatment of lumbar spinal stenosis: A randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2015;162(7):465-473.
Kovacs FM, Urrutia G, Alarcon JD. Surgery versus conservative treatment for symptomatic lumbar stenosis: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Spine. 2011;36(20):E1335-E1351.
Lumbar spinal stenosis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated June 8, 2015. Accessed September 16, 2015.
Snyder DL, Doggett D, et al. Treatment of degenerative lumbar spinal stenosis. Am Fam Physician. 2004;70(3):517-520.
Spinal stenosis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases website. Available at: http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health%5FInfo/Spinal%5FStenosis/default.asp. Updated January 2013. Accessed September 16, 2015.
12/17/2013 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: de Schepper El, Overdevest GM, et al. Diagnosis of lumbar spinal stenosis: an updated systematic review of the accuracy of diagnostic tests. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013 Apr 15;38(8):E469-81.
- Reviewer: Laura Lei-Rivera, DPT
- Review Date: 09/2015 -
- Update Date: 12/17/2013 -