(Broken Rib; Fracture, Rib)
|Multiple Rib Fractures with Damage to Lung|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- A direct blow to the rib
- Crushing of the chest, such as in contact sports, a car accident, or having CPR
- Severe coughing incidents that can occur with lung problems or at high altitude
- Rib fractures in young children are often a sign of abuse
- Difficulty doing activities of daily living—generally with eldery people
- Playing contact sports
- Weak bones
- Chronic cough
Extreme repetitive upper body activity, such as in:
- Weight lifting
- Occupations involving a lot of overhead lifting
- History of rib or chest fracture
- Pain in the ribs or upper chest area
- Pain when breathing or coughing
- Swelling and bruising in the fracture area
- Severe local tenderness in the fracture area
- Shortness of breath
- Internal bleeding
Intercostal Nerve Blocks
- Wear seat belts with shoulder strap.
- Wear protective equipment, such as rib pads, when playing contact sports.
- Avoid over-training.
- Learn the proper technique for exercise and sporting activities.
- Maintain strong bones by:
Ortho Info—American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://www.orthoinfo.org
Trauma—Care of the Injured http://www.trauma.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://whenithurtstomove.org
Boden BP, Osbahr DC, Jiminez C. Low-risk stress fractures. Am J Sports Med. 2001;29(1):100-111.
Broken or bruised ribs. NHS Choices website. Available at: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/rib-injuries/Pages/Introduction.aspx. Updated April 29, 2015. Accessed August 4, 2015.
Fractures (broken bones). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Ortho Info website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00139. Updated October 2012. Accessed August 4, 2015.
Gregoretti C, et al. Regional anesthesia in trauma patients. Anesthesiol Clin. 2007;25(1):99-116.
Rib fracture. Merck Manual Professional Version website. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/injuries-poisoning/thoracic-trauma/rib-fracture. Updated August 2014. Accessed August 4, 2015.
Rib fracture—emergency management. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Accessed August 4, 2015.
1/4/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Barrett-Connor E, Nielson CM, Orwoll E, et al. Epidemiology of rib fractures in older men: Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) prospective cohort study. BMJ. 2010;340:c1069.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 08/2015 -