|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Blood tests
- Taking samples of scalp areas with inflammation to examine under a microscope
- Analyzing samples of hair
- Fungal culture
- Biopsy of the scalp
- Topical corticosteroids
- Corticosteroid injections into the scalp
- Topical medications that alter the immune system
- Topical minoxidil
- Laser therapy—To treat patches on the scalp
- Hair transplant—Taking hair from the back and sides of the head and transplanting it in bald areas. Hair transplant involves multiple procedures
- Scalp reduction with flaps—Cutting the scalp and pulling the areas with hair closer together
- Medical tattooing—Colored pigments can be injected into the eyebrows
- Wig or hairpiece
- Photochemotherapy—exposure to ultraviolet light after taking topical or oral medication
- Counseling or support groups
American Academy of Dermatology http://www.aad.org
National Alopecia Areata Foundation http://www.naaf.org
Derm Web http://www.dermatology.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Alopecia areata. American Academy of Dermatology website. Available at: http://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/a---d/alopecia-areata. Accessed August 5, 2015.
Alopecia areata. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated January 1, 2015. Accessed August 5, 2015.
Alopecia areata. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases website. Available at: http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health%5FInfo/Alopecia%5FAreata/default.asp. Updated April 2015. Accessed August 5, 2015.
Mitchell AJ, Douglass MC. Topical photochemotherapy for alopecia areata. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1985;12(4):644-649.
Price VH. Treatment of hair loss. N Engl J Med. 1999;341(13):964-973.
Rawnsley JD. Hair restoration. Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am. 2008;16(3):289-297.
Taylor CR, Hawk JL. PUVA treatment of alopecia areata partialis, totalis and universalis: audit of 10 years' experience at St John's Institute of Dermatology. Br J Dermatol. 1995;133(6):914-918.
Types of hair loss. American Hair Loss Association website. Available at: http://americanhairloss.org/types%5Fof%5Fhair%5Floss/introduction.asp. Accessed August 5, 2015.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 08/2015 -
- Update Date: 08/18/2014 -