Is Group Therapy for You?
What Are the Benefits of Group Therapy?
- Form goals
- Increase self-awareness and self-esteem
- Gain insight into the ways others perceive you
- Discover effective patterns of relating to others
- Develop more satisfying relationships
- Receive support for sharing common problems
- Learn how to apply new behaviors to situations outside the group
What Happens in the Session?
What Types of Groups Are There?
- General therapy groups —Most of these types of groups focus on self-understanding and improving your overall relationships with others. The therapist leading the group will often ask members to define goals they would like to achieve within the timeframe of the group therapy program. Most of these groups contain both men and women, but some are specifically intended for men or women only.
- Specialized therapy groups —There are several therapy groups for people with specific needs. These include groups that deal with women's issues, sexual assault, stress management, men's issues, parenting, and divorce. Before joining any therapy group, talk to the therapist to make sure that it is a good fit for you.
- Support group —These differ from therapy groups in several ways. In many support groups, facilitators are not required to have professional credentials, although some may have them. Support groups are intended to offer general support by having members offer support to each other, whereas therapy groups improve behavioral patterns and social interactions in all types of relationships.
How Long Does Group Therapy Last?
How Much Does It Cost?
How Do You Find a Qualified Group Therapist?
American Psychological Association http://www.apa.org
Group Solutions Network, Inc. http://www.groupfind.com
Canadian Psychological Association http://www.cpa.ca
Healthy Canadians http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca
About group psychotherapy. American Group Psychotherapy Association website. Available at: http://www.agpa.org/group/consumersguide2000.html . Accessed September 13, 2013.
About group therapy & its benefits. Group Therapy Portland website. Available at: http://www.grouptherapyportland.com/benefits.html . Accessed September 13, 2013.
Group therapy. Group Therapy website. Available at: http://www.goodtherapy.org/group-therapy.html . Accessed September 13, 2013.
Group therapy—is it right for me? American University website. Available at: http://www.american.edu/ocl/counseling/Group-Therapy-Is-It-Right-for-Me.cfm . Accessed September 13, 2013.
Understanding psychotherapy and how it works. American Psychological Association website. Available at: http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/understanding-psychotherapy.aspx . Accessed September 13, 2013.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 09/13/2013 -