Reasons for Procedure
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Damage to the eye
- Decreased vision
- Increased eye pressure
- Detached retina
- Droopy eyelid
- Need for more surgery
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Complete eye exam
- An A-scan—a test using either sound waves or a laser to determine the strength of the replacement lens
- Administer eye drops
- Administer antibiotic injections
Description of the Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
- Adjusting activities until the eye is healed.
- Taking medications, such as antibiotic and anti-inflammatory eye drops.
- Taking pain medications.
- Using an eye patch, eye shield,or UV-protecting sunglasses when you are outside..
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Change in vision
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, bleeding, or discharge from the affected eye
- Visual disturbances, such as double vision, flashes of light, floaters, part of the field of vision is missing, or eye pressure
American Optometric Association http://www.aoa.org
Eye Smart—American Academpy of Ophthalmology http://www.eyesmart.org
Canadian Ophthalmological Society http://www.cos-sco.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Cataract surgery. American Academy of Ophthalmology Eye Smart website. Available at: http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/cataracts/cataract-surgery.cfm. Updated February 1, 2014. Accessed October 28, 2014.
Cataract. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated October 1, 2014. Accessed October 28, 2014.
Routine preoperative testing before cataract surgery. Agency for Health Care Research and Quality website. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/research/findings/factsheets/aging/precataract/index.html. Updated October 28, 2014.
10/1/2013 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Gower EW, Lindsley K, et al. Perioperative antibiotics for prevention of acute endophthalmitis after cataract surgery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;7:CD006364.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 10/2014 -
- Update Date: 10/01/2013 -