(Hemorrhoid Ligation; Rubber Band Ligation for Hemorrhoids)
Reasons for Procedure
- Severely bleeding hemorrhoids
- Severely painful hemorrhoids
- Hemorrhoid containing a blood clot (thrombosed hemorrhoid)
- Hemorrhoids that protrude through the anus (prolapsed hemorrhoids)
|Grade 2 Hemorrhoid|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Recurrence of hemorrhoids
- Swelling and pain from remaining hemorrhoids
- Adverse reaction to the local anesthetic (if used)
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Physical exam
- Rectal exam
- Anoscopy—the visual examination of the inside of the anus using a short tube (anoscope) to help keep the sphincter open
- Sigmoidoscopy —the use of a specialized endoscope (a tube attached to a viewing device) to examine the inside of the anus, rectum, and lower intestine
Description of the Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
- Move your bowels as soon as you feel the urge.
- Do not strain, bear down, or hold your breath during a bowel movement.
- Do not sit on the toilet for long periods of time.
- To prevent constipation and straining during bowel movements, use a stool softener, exercise, drink plenty of fluids, and eat plenty of high-fiber foods (such as fruits, vegetables , beans, and whole grains ).
- Avoid heavy lifting for 2-3 weeks.
Call Your Doctor
- Passing large amounts of blood
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Pain that you cannot control with the medications you have been given
- Constipation or trouble urinating
- An aching feeling develops in the area between the rectum and the genitals
American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons http://www.fascrs.org
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases http://www.niddk.nih.gov
Canadian Digestive Health Foundation http://www.cdhf.ca
Health Canada www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Hemorrhoids. American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons website. Available at: https://www.fascrs.org/patients/disease-condition/hemorrhoids. Accessed September 30, 2014.
Hemorrhoids. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated September 8, 2014. Accessed September 30, 2014.
- Reviewer: Daus Mahnke, MD
- Review Date: 08/2015 -
- Update Date: 09/30/2014 -