|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- Are too large to pass
- Cause constant pain
- Block the flow of urine
- Cause an ongoing infection
- Damage kidney tissue
- Cause bleeding
- Blood in the urine
- Bruising in the back or abdomen
- Pain as the stone fragments pass
- Failure of stone fragments to pass, requiring additional surgery
- Need for additional treatments
- Reaction to anesthesia
- Bleeding disorders or taking medications that reduce blood clotting
- Skeletal deformities
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Physical exam
- Blood and urine tests
- Imaging studies to help locate the stones
Description of the Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
Call Your Doctor
- Extreme urge or inability to urinate
- Excessive blood in your urine
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Nausea and/or vomiting that you cannot control with the medications you've been given
- Pain that you cannot control with the medications you've been given
- Cough, shortness of breath, or chest pain
National Kidney Foundation http://www.kidney.org
National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov
Canadian Urological Association http://www.cua.org
The Kidney Foundation of Canada http://www.kidney.ca
Kidney and ureteral stones: Surgical management. Urology Care Foundation website. Available at: http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=32. Updated January 2011. Accessed March 3, 2014.
Kidney stones in adults. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse website. Available at: http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/stonesadults/index.aspx. Updated January 28, 2013. Accessed March 3, 2014.
Lithotripsy. National Kidney Foundation website. Available at: https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/lithotripsy. Accessed March 3, 2014.
Nephrolithiasis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated January 17, 2014. Accessed March 3, 2014.
- Reviewer: Adrienne Carmack, MD
- Review Date: 01/2015 -
- Update Date: 03/03/2014 -