- Aim for a Healthy Weight
- Discontinue or Avoid Smoking
- Eat a Healthy Diet
- Maintain Normal Blood Pressure
- Decrease or Discontinue Alcohol Consumption
- Exercise Regularly
- High-fat processed meats, such as bologna, sausage, hot dogs
- Solid fats, such as shortening, stick butter, or lard
- Whole milk, cream, ice cream, and cheese
- Baked goods that contain egg yolks and butter
- Fried foods such as fried chicken, french fries, and potato chips
- Fatty red meats or organ meats, such as liver
- Saturated oils like coconut oil, palm oil, and palm kernel oil
Dietary guidelines for Americans 2010. US Department of Agriculture and US Department of Health and Human Services. Available at: http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/DietaryGuidelines2010.pdf. Accessed October 9, 2013.
Heart failure. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated October 7, 2013. Accessed October 9, 2013.
Heart failure prevention. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated August 20, 2013. Accessed October 9, 2013.
How can heart failure be prevented? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hf/prevention.html. Updated January 9, 2012. Accessed October 9, 2013.
Prevention & treatment. American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartFailure/PreventionTreatmentofHeartFailure/Prevention-Treatment-of-Heart-Failure%5FUCM%5F002048%5FArticle.jsp. Updated March 29, 2013. Accessed October 9, 2013.
7/6/2009 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Levitan EB, Wolk A, et al. Consistency with the DASH diet and incidence of heart failure. Arch Intern Med. 2009;169:851-857.
8/31/2009 DynaMed Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Djoussé L, Driver JA, et al. Relation between modifiable lifestyle factors and lifetime risk of heart failure. JAMA. 2009;302:394-400.
12/9/2013 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Bao Y, Han J, et al. Association of nut consumption with total and cause-specific mortality. N Engl J med. 2013 Nov 21;369(21):2001-2011.
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, DO
- Review Date: 09/2014 -
- Update Date: 09/17/2014 -