Symptoms of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Sour or bitter taste in the back of mouth or throat
- Feeling of a lump in the throat
- Bad breath
- Sore throat
- Hoarse voice
- Chronic cough
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- Excessive clearing of throat
- Inflammation of the esphagus—esophagitis
- Bleeding and ulcers in the esophagus
- Dental problems, which may occur because of the effect of stomach acid on tooth enamel
- Chronic laryngitis
- Asthma attacks
- Aspiration pneumonia—during sleep acid refluxes from the stomach into the throat, then drains into the lungs, causing irritation
- A precancerous condition that can lead to esophageal cancer—Barrett’s esophagus
- Esophageal cancer
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated February 19, 2015. Accessed February 27, 2015.
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). The Merck Manual Professional Edition. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal%5Fdisorders/esophageal%5Fand%5Fswallowing%5Fdisorders/gastroesophageal%5Freflux%5Fdisease%5Fgerd.html. Updated May 2014. Accessed February 27, 2015.
Katz PO, Gerson LB, et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2013;108(3):302-328.
Mitre MC, Katzka DA. Pathophysiology of GERD: Lower esophageal sphincter defects. GERD in the 21st Century, Series 5. Practical Gastro website. Available at: http://www.practicalgastro.com/pdf/May04/MitreArticle.pdf. Published May 2004. Accessed February 27, 2015.
Symptoms and causes of gastroesophageal reflux (GER) and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases website. Available at: http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/digestive-diseases/ger-and-gerd-in-adults/Pages/symptoms-causes.aspx. Accessed February 27, 2015.
Understanding heartburn and reflux disease. American Gastroenterological Association website. Available at: http://www.gastro.org/patient-center/digestive-conditions/heartburn-gerd. Accessed February 27, 2015.
- Reviewer: Daus Mahnke, MD
- Review Date: 03/2014 -
- Update Date: 02/27/2015 -