- Macrosomia (abnormally large baby) and problems during delivery, such as shoulder dystocia
- Respiratory distress syndrome (breathing problems)
- Other conditions, such as, low blood glucose levels, low calcium levels, high bilirubin levels
- Increased rate of stillbirth
Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated September 27, 2015. Accessed October 7, 2015.
Hillier TA, Pedula KL, et al. Excess gestational weight gain: modifying fetal macrosomia risk associated with maternal glucose. Obstet Gynecol. 2008;112:1007-1014.
What I need to know about gestational diabetes. National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse (NDIC) website. Available at: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/gestational/#7. Updated August 2013. Accessed October 7, 2015.
2/5/2009 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Cheng YW, Chung JH, et al. Gestational weight gain and gestational diabetes mellitus: perinatal outcomes. Obstet Gynecol. 2008;112:1015-1022.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm, MD
- Review Date: 09/2015 -
- Update Date: 09/17/2014 -