Talking to Your Doctor About Leukemia
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and think of questions to ask.
- Write your questions ahead of time, so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you get, and make sure you understand what you are hearing. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask where you can find more information about what you are discussing. You have a right to know.
- What type of leukemia do I have?
- Do you know why I got leukemia? Might other members of my family be at risk for developing it?
- Based on my medical history, lifestyle, and family background, am I at risk for leukemia?
- Is there anything I can do to reduce my risk?
What is the best treatment option for my leukemia?
- What other options are there?
- What are the risks and benefits associated with this treatment plan?
- How long will the treatment last?
- What side effects can I expect?
- What will I need to change in my daily routine?
- How will I feel during treatment? What can I do to help myself feel better during treatment? What can the doctor do to minimize the side effects I might experience?
- What will I need to do to take care of myself during the treatment period?
- What will we do if the treatment does not succeed?
- How do I best protect myself from infections?
- Will I need to change my diet or other daily habits?
- Can I exercise? If so, how much can I exercise?
- Are my treatments likely to kill all the cancer cells?
- How do I know that my treatment program is effective?
- How will I know if the leukemia has come back and what will we do if it does?
- Should I consider participating in a clinical trial? If one is appropriate for me, what is the cost relative to the cost of conventional treatment?
- Do you know of a support group I could join?
American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society website. Available at: http://www.lls.org.
National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012 -
- Update Date: 11/26/2012 -