|How Type 1 Diabetes Occurs|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- People with chronic type 2 diabetes who lose the ability to make insulin.
- Some with chronic pancreatitis or pancreatic surgery. They may lose the cells that make insulin.
- People with cystic fibrosis.
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), which is the result of too much insulin
- Kidney disease
- Heart disease
- Nerve disease, which can lead to amputations
- Vascular disease of the lower extremities
- Early death
Diabetes causes. National Institute of Diabetes & Digestive & Kidney Diseases website. Available at: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/index.aspx . Accessed December 31, 2012.
Diabetes type 1. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated December 28, 2012. Accessed December 31, 2012.
Type 1 diabetes. American Diabetes Association website. Available at: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/type-1/?loc=DropDownDB-type1 . Accessed December 31, 2012.
- Reviewer: Kim Carmichael, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 09/30/2013 -