- Restoring you to a healthy weight and keeping you there
- Treating psychological disturbances, such as distortion of body image, low self-esteem, and interpersonal conflicts
- Achieving long-term remission and rehabilitation or full recovery
General Treatment Guidelines for Bulimia Nervosa and Binge Eating Disorder
- Stop binging
- Stop purging—in the case of bulimia
- Provide education about healthy eating habits and nutrition
- Focus self-esteem away from body image and shape
Eating disorders. National Institute of Mental Health website. Available at: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/eating-disorders/index.shtml. Updated 2011. Accessed July 11, 2013.
Williams P, Goodie J, et al. Treating eating disorders in primary care. Am Fam Physician. 2008 Jan 15;77(2):187-95. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2008/0115/p187.html. Accessed July 11, 2013.
Yager J, Devlin MJ, et al. Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Patients with Eating Disorders. 3rd ed. American Psychiatric Association; 2006. Available at: http://www.guideline.gov/content.aspx?id=9318 . Accessed July 11, 2013.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 07/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -