|The Upper Respiratory Tract|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Weak immune system
- Exposure to a sneeze or cough of an infected person
- Exposure to the stool of an infected person
- Living in close contact with others such as military units, schools, or summer camps
- Handling an object that was exposed to an infected person
- Exposure to water contaminated with adenovirus
- Respiratory tract
- Urinary tract
- Mucous from throat or nose
Management of Symptoms
- Get plenty of rest.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Use a humidifier or vaporizer.
- Take over-the-counter pain medications if you have discomfort.
- Avoid contact with infected persons.
- Wash hands often.
- Wash and clean common surfaces, such as counters and toys.
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth, and eyes.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov
Healthy Children—American Academy of Pediatrics http://www.healthychildren.org
About Kids Health—The Hospital for Sick Children http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Adenoviruses. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/adenovirus/index.html. Updated December 27, 2011. Accessed August 18, 2014.
Adenovirus VIS. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/vis-statements/adenovirus.html. Updated June 11, 2014. Accessed August 18, 2014.
Gabbert C, Donohue M, Arnold J, Schwimmer JB. Adenovirus 36 and obesity in children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 2010;126(4):721-726.
Infections: adenovirus. Nemours Kids Health website. Available at: http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/lung/adenovirus.html. Updated July 2012. Accessed August 18, 2014.
Kranzler J, Tyler MA, Sonabend AM, et al. Stem cells as delivery vehicles for oncolytic adenoviral virotherapy. Curr Gene Ther. 2009;9(5):389-395.
Trei JS, Johns NM, Garner JL, et al. Spread of adenovirus to geographically dispersed military installations, May-October 2007. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010;16(5):769-775.
- Reviewer: David Horn, MD
- Review Date: 08/2015 -
- Update Date: 08/18/2014 -