Reasons for Procedure
- Allergic reaction to the contrast
- Inflamed or infected spinal cord
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Physical exam and medical history
- Ask if you are pregnant—this test is not usually done on women who are pregnant
- Ask about your medical history
- Determine if you have any allergies
- The night before, do not eat solid foods after midnight. You should continue to drink liquids.
If your doctor prescribes a sedative:
- Arrange to have someone drive you home. Also, arrange for someone to help you at home.
- Take the sedative before the exam as directed by your doctor.
- You may have to stop certain medications up to a week before the procedure.
Description of the Procedure
|Lumbar Myelogram Injection|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Immediately After Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
- If you took a sedative, do not drive, operate machinery, or make important decisions until the sedative wears off.
- Avoid strenuous exercise (including bending over) for 1-2 days.
- You may be more comfortable lying on your back for 24 hours after the procedure.
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Leakage of fluid from the puncture site
- Headache lasting more than 24 hours
- Excessive nausea or vomiting
- Neck stiffness
- Numbness in your legs
- Trouble urinating or moving your bowels
- Symptoms of allergic reaction, such as hives , itching, nausea, swollen or itchy eyes, tight throat, or difficulty breathing
- Worsening of your symptoms
North American Spine Society http://www.spine.org
Ortho Info—American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://www.orthoinfo.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://www.canorth.org
Lumbar disc herniation. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated November 26, 2014. Accessed December 18, 2014.
Myelography. Radiological Society of North America Radiology Info website. Available at: http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=myelography&bhcp=1. Updated June 14, 2013. Accessed December 18, 2014.
- Reviewer: Warren A. Bodine, DO, CAQSM
- Review Date: 11/2015 -
- Update Date: 12/20/2014 -