Reasons for Procedure
- Spinal tumors
- Herniated disks
- Narrowing of the spinal canal
- Allergic reaction to the contrast
- Inflamed or infected spinal cord
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Physical exam and medical history
- Ask if you are pregnant—this test is not usually done on women who are pregnant
- Ask about your medical history
- Discuss your medicines with you, as you may need to
- change the dosing
- stop them—this is usually true with blood-thinners
- Determine if you have any allergies
- Possibly prescribe a mild sedative to help you relax
- The night before, do not eat solid foods after midnight. You should continue to drink liquids.
If your doctor prescribes a sedative:
- Arrange to have someone drive you home. Also, arrange for someone to help you at home.
- Take the sedative before the exam as directed by your doctor.
Description of the Procedure
|Lumbar Myelogram Injection|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Immediately After Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
- If you took a sedative, do not drive, operate machinery, or make important decisions until the sedative wears off.
- Avoid strenuous exercise (including bending over) for 1-2 days.
- You may be more comfortable lying on your back for 24 hours after the procedure.
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Leakage of fluid from the puncture site
- Headache lasting more than 24 hours
- Excessive nausea or vomiting
- Neck stiffness
- Numbness in your legs
- Trouble urinating or moving your bowels
- Symptoms of allergic reaction (eg, hives , itching, nausea, swollen or itchy eyes, tight throat, difficulty breathing)
- Worsening of your symptoms
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/
North American Spine Society http://www.spine.org/
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org/
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://www.canorth.org/
Herniated disc. EBSCO Health Library website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/healthLibrary/. Updated August 2009. Accessed September 22, 2009.
Myelography. American Society of Radiologic Technologists website. Available at: http://www.asrt.org/content/ThePublic/AboutRadiologicProcedures/Myelography.aspx. Accessed September 22, 2009.
Myelography. Radiological Society of North America website. Available at: http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=myelography&bhcp=1. Accessed September 22, 2009.
- Reviewer: John C. Keel, MD
- Review Date: 12/2012 -
- Update Date: 12/03/2012 -