- Cure smaller, early-stage pancreatic cancer
- Increase survival time in more advanced pancreatic cancer—this usually means only by a matter of months
- Provide some symptom relief
Chemotherapy Drugs Used for Pancreatic Cancer
- Fluorouracil (5-FU)
- Gemcitabine—first-line treatment
- Gemcitabine plus erlotinib—first-line treatment
- Streptozotocin for endocrine tumors
- Investigational agents—experimental treatments
Cruz MD, Young AP, et al. Diagnosis and management of pancreatic cancer. Am Fam Physician. 2014;89(8):626-632.
Lohr JM. Medical treatment of pancreatic cancer. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2007;7(4):533-544.
Pancreatic cancer. American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003131-pdf. Accessed October 5, 2015.
Pancreatic cancer. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated February 23, 2015. Accessed October 5, 2015.
Pancreatic cancer. Merck Manual Professional Version website. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal-disorders/tumors-of-the-gi-tract/pancreatic-cancer. Updated July 2014. Accessed October 5, 2015.
Yip D, Karapetis C, et al. Chemotherapy and radiotherapy for inoperable advanced pancreatic cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;3:CD002093.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD
- Review Date: 09/2015 -
- Update Date: 09/17/2014 -