Other Proposed Natural Treatments
- Throat Coat Tea (Symptoms Only)
- Pelargonium sidoides (Non-Dangerous Forms of Sore Throat Only)
- Carditis—inflammation of the heart, often causing a heart murmur
- Chorea—rapid, purposeless, nonrepetitive movements that are not under conscious control
- Migratory polyarthritis—severe joint pain, redness, and swelling that moves from joint to joint
- Subcutaneous nodules—nodules under the skin
- Erythema marginatum—a serpentine, flat rash
Proposed Natural Treatments
1 Fauci S, Harrison T. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine . 14th ed. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 1998:1310.
2 Bereznoy VV, Riley DS, Wassmer G, Heger M. Efficacy of extract of Pelargonium sidoides in children with acute non-group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus tonsillopharyngitis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Altern Ther Health Med . 2003;9:68-79.
3 Brinckmann J, Sigwart H, van Houten Taylor L. Safety and efficacy of a traditional herbal medicine (Throat Coat) in symptomatic temporary relief of pain in patients with acute pharyngitis: a multicenter, prospective, randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled study. J Altern Complement Med . 2003;9:285-298.
- Reviewer: EBSCO CAM Review Board
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 08/22/2013 -