(Cerebral Aneurysm; Intracranial Aneurysm; Intracerebral Aneurysm; Aneurysm, Brain; Aneurysm, Cerebral; Aneurysm, Intracranial; Aneurysm, Intracerebral)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Pain behind the eye
- Numbness, sometimes on one side of the face or body
- Weakness on one side of the body or face
- Vision changes
- Drooping eyelid
- Differences between the size of the pupils
- Speech impairment
- Stiff neck
- Confusion or sleepiness
- Loss of consciousness
- Microvascular clipping—A neurosurgeon cuts off blood flow to the aneurysm.
- Microvascular occlusion—A neurosurgeon clamps off the entire artery leading to the aneurysm. Sometimes a bypass procedure (rerouting a new blood vessel) is done too.
- Control high blood pressure
- Stop smoking
- Avoid recreational drug use
Discuss with your doctor:
- Benefits and risks of oral contraceptives
- Whether it is safe to use daily aspirin or other pain medicines that may thin the blood
The Brain Aneurysm Foundation http://www.bafound.org
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke http://www.ninds.nih.gov
Brain Injury Association of Alberta http://www.biaa.ca
Heart and Stroke Foundation Canada http://www.heartandstroke.ca
Brain Aneurysm Foundation Information website. Available at: http://www.bafound.org/info/factors.php. Accessed May 10, 2010.
Cerebral Aneurysm. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated May 2011. Accessed May 29, 2011
Kirchheimer S. Subarachnoid hemorrhage. EBSCO Patient Education Reference Center. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/thisTopic.php?marketID=16&topicID=1034. Published March 1, 2010. Accessed April 26, 2010.
Mayo Clinic. Brain aneurysm. Mayo Clinic website. Available at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/brain-aneurysm/DS00582. Accessed October 28, 2010.
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. Cerebral aneurysm fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/cerebral%5Faneurysm/detail%5Fcerebral%5Faneurysm.htm. Updated February 3, 2010. Accessed April 26, 2010.
Vlak M, Rinkel, Gabriel J, et al. Trigger factors and their attributable risk for rupture of intracranial aneurysms: a case-crossover study. Stroke. 2011 May 5.
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, DO
- Review Date: 03/2014 -
- Update Date: 05/02/2014 -