The Importance of Counting Carbs If You Have Diabetes
The Basics of Counting Carbs
- Starches (complex carbohydrates) are foods like grains, legumes, and starchy vegetables, such as potatoes or corn.
- Sugars can be natural (like those in fruit and milk) or added (like the sugary syrup in canned fruit).
- Fiber can be found in foods like fruit (especially fruits with edible skin, like apples), vegetables, nuts , legumes, and whole grains.
Planning a Meal by Counting Carbs
- 1 small piece of fruit (4 ounces)
- ½ cup canned or frozen fruit
- 1 slice of bread (1 ounce)
- ½ cup cooked cereal
- ¼ of a large baked potato
- ½ cup ice cream
- 2/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 small cookies
Filling Up With Fiber
All Carbs Are Not Created Equal
American Diabetes Association http://www.diabetes.org
Joslin Diabetes Center http://www.joslin.org
Canadian Diabetes Association http://www.diabetes.ca
Public Health Agency of Canada http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca
Carbohydrate counting 101. Joslin Diabetes Center website. Available at: http://www.joslin.org/info/Carbohydrate%5FCounting%5F101.html. Accessed July 7, 2015.
Dietary considerations for patients with type 2 diabetes. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated February 25, 2015. Accessed July 7, 2015.
Dietary guidelines for Americans 2010. US Department of Agriculture and US Department of Health and Human Services. Available at: http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/DietaryGuidelines2010.pdf. Accessed July 7, 2015.
Increasing fiber intake. UCSF Medical Center website. Available at: http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/increasing%5Ffiber%5Fintake. Accessed July 7, 2015.
Understanding carbohydrates. American Diabetes Association website. Available at: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/carbohydrates.html. Accessed July 7, 2015.
What are net carbs? Diabetes Forecast—American Diabetes Association website. Available at: http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2010/aug/what-are-net-carbs.html. Published August 2010. Accessed July 7, 2015.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 07/2015 -
- Update Date: 09/25/2013 -