Reasons for Test
- Gall bladder
- Bile ducts, which are tube-like structure that carry bile
- Pancreas and pancreatic ducts, which are tube-like structures that carry digestive enzymes
- Cause of symptoms like abdominal pain or jaundice , which is a yellowing of the skin caused by liver problems
- Conditions like pancreatitis , which is swelling of the pancreas
- Blockages—may be caused by bile duct stones
- Growths—like tumors
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
What to Expect
Prior to Test
Your medical history, including:
- If you’ve ever had an allergic reaction to contrast dye
- If you are pregnant—be sure to tell your doctor if you are or could be pregnant
- Medical devices that you may have in your body. This includes pacemakers, ear implants, insulin pumps, neurostimulators, and shunts
- Joint replacements, plates, or metal pins
- Metal objects or fragments in your body—An x-ray may be done before the MRCP.
Description of Test
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Call Your Doctor
- Worsening of symptoms
- Any allergic or abnormal symptoms, especially if you were injected with contrast dye
National Library of Medicine http://www.nlm.nih.gov
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Public Health Agency of Canada http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca
Diagnostic imaging studies: magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP). The Pancreas Center website. Available at: http://pancreasmd.org/ed%5Fimaging%5Fmrcp.html . Accessed March 28, 2013.
Diagnosis magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP). Pancreatic Cancer Action Network website. Available at: http://www.pancan.org/section%5Ffacing%5Fpancreatic%5Fcancer/learn%5Fabout%5Fpan%5Fcancer/diagnosis/MRCP.php . Accessed March 28, 2013..
Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP). RadiologyInfo.org website. Available at: http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=mrcp . Updated June 5, 2012. Accessed March 28, 2013.
MRCP. Patient.co.uk. website. Available at: http://www.patient.co.uk/health/MRCP-Scan.htm . Updated February 24, 2010. Accessed March 28, 2013.