(Anemia of Inflammation; Hypoferremia of Inflammatory Disease; ACD)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Chronic infections, such as tuberculosis , lung abscess, and subacute endocarditis
- Noninfectious inflammatory diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis , osteomyelitis , systemic lupus erythematosus , and inflammatory bowel disease
- Common childhood infections, including ear infections and urinary tract infections
- Congestive heart failure , thyroid disease, and kidney failure
- Cancer, particularly Hodgkin’s disease , lung cancer , and breast cancer
- Pale complexion, dizziness, fatigue, and rapid heartbeat
- Infection, fever (even mild)
- Red blood cell count
- Hemoglobin level
- Serum iron level
- Serum ferritin level
- Serum transferrin receptor level
- Transferrin iron binding capacity
- Total iron binding capacity (TIBC)
Iron Disorders Institute http://www.irondisorders.org/
National Anemia Action Council http://www.anemia.org/
Anemia Institute http://www.anemiainstitute.org/
Canadian Cancer Society http://www.cancer.ca/
Anemia. Mayo Clinic.com website. Available at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anemia/DS00321 . Updated March 2009. Accessed December 13, 2010.
Beutler E. Unlocking the mysteries of iron homeostasis and of the anemia of chronic disease: is hepcidin the key? Blood . 2003;102:775.
Merck Manual of Medical Information, Second Home Edition Online . Merck and Co, Inc. website. Available at http://www.merck.com/mmhe/index.html . Accessed July 15, 2005.
Weiss G, Goodnough, LT. Anemia of chronic disease. NEJM . 2005;352:1011-1023.
3/12/2008 DynaMed Systematic Literature Surveillance DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance : Bennett CL, Silver SM, Djulbegovic B, et al. Venous thromboembolism and mortality associated with recombinant erythropoietin and darbepoetin administration for the treatment of cancer-associated anemia. JAMA . 2008;299:914-924.
9/2/2009 DynaMed Systematic Literature Surveillance DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance : Bohlius J, Schmidlin K, Brillant C, et al. Erythropoietin or Darbepoetin for patients with cancer—meta-analysis based on individual patient data. Cochrane Database Syst Rev . 2009;(3):CD007303.
- Reviewer: Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 09/30/2013 -