|Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands: Posterior (Back) View|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Removal of the parathyroid glands
- Underlying autoimmune disorders
- Absence of the parathyroid glands at birth
- Damage to the parathyroid glands
- Genetics conditions, such as DiGeorge syndrome
- Magnesium deficiency due to alcohol use disorder and/or malnutrition
- Other causes, such as metal overload from iron, magnesium, or aluminium
- Multiple autoimmune disorders
- Thyroid or parathyroid surgery
- Family history of hypoparathyroidism
- Blood tests
- Urine test
Calcium and Vitamin D Supplementation
Hypoparathyroidism Association, Inc. https://www.hypopara.org
NORD—National Organization for Rare Disorders http://www.rarediseases.org
Canadian Society of Endocrinology & Metabolism http://www.endo-metab.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Definition of hypoparathyroidism and related disorders. The Hypoparathyroidism Association website. Available at: https://www.hypopara.org/about-hpth/definition.html. Accessed September 30, 2014.
Hypoparathyroidism. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated June 2, 2014. Accessed September 30, 2014.
Hypoparathyroidism. National Organization for Rare Disorders website. Available at: http://www.rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/rare-diseases/byID/703/viewFullReport. Updated April 2, 2014. Accessed September 30, 2014.
Marx SJ. Hyperparathyroid and hypoparathyroid disorders. N Engl J Med. 2000;343(25):1863-1875.
Moffett JM, Suliburk J. Parathyroid autotransplantation. Endocr Pract. 2011;17 Suppl 1:83-89.
Testini M, Gurrado A, Lissidini G, Nacchiero M. Hypoparathyroidism after total thyroidectomy. Minerva Chir. 2007;62(5):409-415.
Thakker RV. Genetic developments in hypoparathyroidism. Lancet. 2001;357(9261):974-976.
Winer KK, Ko CW, Reynolds JC, et al. Long-term treatment of hypoparathyroidism: a randomized controlled study comparing parathyroid hormone (1-34) versus calcitriol and calcium. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003;88(9):4214-4220.
- Reviewer: James Cornell, MD
- Review Date: 09/2015 -
- Update Date: 09/30/2014 -