(Idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathy)
Skin changes such as:
- Violet-colored, bumpy, or scaly skin rash (especially around the eyes, upper back, elbows, or knuckles)
- Itching, especially the scalp
- Sensitivity to sunlight
- Calcium deposits
problems such as:
- Weakness especially in hips, thighs, arms or neck
- Aching pain in legs, shoulder, arm, or neck
- Tender muscles
- Difficulty swallowing and speaking
- Aching and color changes (red, white, and blue) in fingers, especially in cold temperatures
- Joint pain
- Shortness of breath
- Electromyogram (EMG) —to test muscle activity
- Muscle biopsy —to take a sample of muscle tissue
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or ultrasound—to detect inflammation in your muscles.
- Skin biopsy—to take a sample of skin tissue
- Cancer tests—dermatomyositis is associated with cancer about 15% of the time
- CAT scan (CT) —to look for any lung involvement
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Strength and flexibility exercises
- Guidelines for a general exercise program
- Tips to modify day to day activities if muscle weakness is interfering
Intravenous Immune Globulin
American Academy of Family Physicians http://www.familydoctor.org/
The Myositis Association http://www.myositis.org/
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke http://www.ninds.nih.gov/
The Arthritis Society http://www.arthritis.ca/
Muscular Dystrophy Canada http://www.muscle.ca/
Berkow R, Beers MH, Burs M, eds. The Merck Manual . 17th ed. West Point, PA: Merck & Co; 1999.
Bolognia JL, Jorizzo J, Rapini RP. Dermatology . London: Elsevier Science; 2003.
Chung L, Genovese MC, Fiorentino DF. A pilot trial of rituximab in the treatment of patients with dermatomyositis. Arch Dermatol . 2007;143:763-767.
Dalakas MC. Polymyositis, dermatomyositis, and inclusion body myositis. In: Kasper DL, et al, eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine . 16th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2005: 2540-2545.
Dermatomyositis. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/dermatomyositis/dermatomyositis.htm . Updated August 26, 2012. Accessed October 31, 2012.
Idiopathic inflammatory myopathy. EBSCO Dynamed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated January 3, 2012. Accessed October 31, 2012.
Dold S, Justiniano ME, Marquez J, Espinoza LR. Treatment of early and refractory dermatomyositis with infliximab: a report of two cases. Clin Rheumatol . 2007;26:1186-1188.
Wong EH, Hui AC, Griffith JF, et al. MRI in biopsy-negative dermatomyositis. Neurology . 2005;64:750.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012 -
- Update Date: 11/26/2012 -