Kendall Regional Medical Center is part of the largest cardiac network in South Florida. The robust and comprehensive network offers seven heart programs, which performed 219,144 cardiac procedures in 2017 alone!
The Heart & Vascular Institute is a full-service program for the management and treatment of heart disease, from simple to complex cases. The services include but are not limited to:
- cardiac catheterization
- percutaneous coronary angioplasty
- cutting balloon angioplasty
- coronary/peripheral stenting (including drug eluting stents)
- rotoblator/atherectomy, electrophysiology
- pacemaker implants
- intracoronary thrombolysis
- nuclear cardiology
- coronary ultrasound
- PFO patent foramen ovale
- cardiac tissue biopsy
Kendall Regional Medical Center received full accreditation with PCI from the Society of Chest Pain Centers (SCPC). The Accredited Chest Pain Center’s protocol-driven and systematic approach to patient management allows physicians to reduce time to treatment during the critical early stages of a heart attack, when treatments are most effective, and to better monitor patients when it is not clear whether or not they are having a coronary event. Such observation helps ensure that patients are neither sent home too early nor needlessly admitted.
The Accredited Chest Pain Center at Kendall Regional Medical Center demonstrated its expertise and commitment to quality patient care by meeting or exceeding a wide set of stringent criteria including:
- Integrating the emergency department with the local emergency medical system
- Assessing, diagnosing, and treating patients quickly
- Effectively treating patients with low risk for acute coronary syndrome and no assignable cause for their symptoms
- Continually seeking to improve processes and procedures
- Ensuring the competence and training of Accredited Chest Pain Center personnel
- Maintaining organizational structure and commitment
- Having a functional design that promotes optimal patient care
- Supporting community outreach programs that educate the public to promptly seek medical care if they display symptoms of a possible heart attack
Our Cardiac Services bring together the collaborative efforts and experience of highly skilled physicians, nurses, and other cardiovascular health professionals. Our cardiac services encompass a full range of diagnostic modalities, interventional procedures, and open heart surgery. Comprised of a team of experienced cardiologists, interventional radiologists, pulmonologists and internists, we provide our patients with the latest scientific advances in their respective fields.
The cardiothoracic surgery division offers an extensive range of cardiovascular services including coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG and valve repair or replacement). Cardiothoracic surgeons at Kendall Regional Medical Center treat patients with cardiac conditions resulting from:
Cardiac electrophysiology is the study of the heart’s electrical system. A wide range of procedures are performed, including:
- Comprehensive Electrophysiology Studies
- Loop Recorder
- AFib Ablation
- A-V Nodal Ablation
- Cardiac Ablations
- Cardiac 3D Mapping
- Cardiac Implants
- Permanent/Temporary pacemakers
- Implantable Cardiac Defibrillators
Cardiac catheterization is a medical sub-specialty dedicated to using minimally invasive techniques with imaging guidance. A heart catheterization, or “cath” exam, is a special diagnostic x-ray imaging exam that allows your physician to see if any of the coronary arteries have blockages or evaluate patient’s heart valves functionality.
The Cardiovascular Laboratory (CVL) at Kendall Regional Medical Center is equipped with state-of-the art modern technology, that allows physicians to diagnose and treat a variety of diseases of the heart and blood vessels. These catheter-based procedures may reduce the risks and recovery time found in traditional surgical approaches. The benefits of catheter-based interventions include shorter hospital stays, reduced recovery time without the pain of a large incision, and less visible surgical scarring. These procedures can be performed on both the heart and peripheral blood vessels.
The CVL is staffed by a team of experienced interventional cardiologists and cardiovascular surgeons as well as trained registered nurses and cardiovascular technologists. Our lab is available 24-hours a day for emergency.
- Right and left heart catheterization
- Coronary angiogram
- Left ventriculograms and other angiographies
- Percutaneous Coronary Interventions (PCI) such as:
- Coronary Stenting
From its comprehensive diagnostic testing to advanced treatments, The Heart & Vascular Institute at Kendall Regional Medical Center provides the full continuum of cardiac services. The following are just some of the diagnostic services and procedures available.
- Cardiac 64-Slice CT
- Echocardiography Laboratory Services
- Transesophageal Echocardiography Program
- 3-D Echo (real-time three dimensional technology)
- Peripheral Vascular Diagnostics
- Nuclear Cardiology
- Cardiac Stress Test
Every minute is critical when a patient is suffering a heart attack. The Heart & Vascular Institute is committed to providing heart attack patients with the most rapid treatment possible. The Heart & Vascular Institute has instituted the Code STEMI (ST- Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction) program, a process by which a specially trained cardiac care team quickly assembles and is ready to treat a patient and perform any interventional procedures the patient needs. Code STEMI protocols, together with other procedures instituted have enabled the team to reduce their “door-to-balloon” time. Door-to-balloon time is the time from which a heart attack patient enters the emergency room to the time they are treated with an interventional procedure, such as an angioplasty, achieving the best results for patients.
For more information, please contact us at (888) 256-7719.